[Tlhingan-hol] More new words from Maltz

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Thu Jan 26 19:03:51 PST 2012

At 18:38 26/01/2012, Felix wrote:
> > matlh [...] gives us the vocabulary to classify all holes into
> those that can and
> > cannot be filled?

>Now that you mention it, a good translation for QemjIq would
>probably be "invagination" (or "cavity", but that doesn't sound
>nearly as naughty), as it can be created through a continuous
>deformation, whereas a qung requires a puncture. In topological
>terms, adding a QemjIq is a homeomorphic process, whereas adding a
>qung is not.

That's an interpretation that I didn't take away from the
filllable/non-filllable classification and I like it. I looked up the
etymology of English vagina and it has had an anotomical meaning only
for a hundred years or so, used to mean just sheath, from
proto-Indo-European "break, bite, split", they say probably after a
split piece of wood used as a sheath.

>Fun fact: When you work behind the bar at a physics yej'an,
>conversations such as this are quite common. I actually first learnt
>the word "invagination" (which exists in Swedish, too) when we were
>discussing whether or not a friend of ours (or, rather, his
>boundary) was topologically homeomorphic with a torus (it wasn't).
>During the course of this discussion I happened to imply somehow
>that ears were among the problems, and was promptly scolded for not
>realizing that ears are invaginations and therefore have simply
>connected boundaries. I bowed my head in shame.

Unless it's a really loud bar.

- Qov