[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HuD

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 19 07:28:58 PST 2012

Felix (quljIb):
> This should be qul bIQtIqHom (used in the sentence:
>  QIStaq qul bIQtIqHomDaq // 'etlhDaj vo' nuch
> ("The coward threw his sword // Into the fire streams
> of Kri'stak"), exhibiting an interesting use of the
> verb vo').

>From {vo'} "propel".  Perhaps used in the sense of "hurl" the sword with all his might as opposed to merely tossing it away casually.

TKW 148:  Curses are considered a weapon of a sort which must be propelled to their targets.

I would have used {woD} "throw away":

KGT 91:  Food that has decayed ... is food that has become inedible and must be thrown away, though it is sometimes given to animals. (Note that {Soj woD} ["He/she throws the food away"], which refers to a regrettable activity, is very different from {Soj jaD} ["He/she throws or hurls the food in the manner of a projectile"], which, under certain circumstances, is considered a reasonable pastime.)

> The lava-filled area inside the volcano is referred to as
> qul ngeng ("fire lake"), and its border ("shore" in the
> English text) qul ngeng HeH (or simply ngeng HeH). This
> HeH is so hostile that even thranx (tlheng'IQ) does not
> grow there. Kri'stak's top is referred to as its yor.
>
> Of going over mountains:
>
> SaqSub'e' muSHa'bogh
> pawmeH leng qeylIS
> HuDmey Sal ghIq ghIr
>
> And Kahless traveled to
> His beloved Saq'sub,
> Over the mountains

What is {SaqSub} and why does Kahless love {muSHa'} it?  Is it his home village?  The name of his family estate?

> [I don't think it was strictly known before that Sal
> (or ghIr) could take an object]

Indeed, neither {Sal} "ascend" nor {ghIr} "descend" have been used in any sentence before now.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons