[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: choH

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Wed Jan 18 09:40:12 PST 2012

At 07:14 18/01/2012, Steven Boozer wrote:
> > Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, January 18, 2012
> >
> > Klingon word:   choH
> > Part of speech: verb
> > Definition:     alter, change
>
>As used in canon:
>
>DaH Heraj yIchoH
>Alter your course now. (ST5 notes)
>
>HIvHe yIchoHmoH
>Alter the attack course! ST5

This is interesting. Someone recently posted citing HIvHe yIchoHmoH
as evidence that choH requires -moH to be transitive, yet that
contradicts both the example from the ST5 notes and the gloss of
"alter," which in English is always transitive.

I'm slowly tending towards a belief that Klingon is like English in
its acceptance of many common verbs meaning both to do the thing to
another and to have the thing done, with perhaps -moH and -'egh.  I
want to preserve the things that are Klingon and not have tlhIngan
Hol become a Klinglish creole, but it's the price for expanded use of
the language.

- Qov