[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh cha'maH cha': <QIptaH>

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Tue Jan 17 06:17:54 PST 2012

At 22:55 16/01/2012, you wrote:
>Qov:
> > > "SuQaybe'pu' verghDaq mapawDI' lIQay wo'."
>
>ghunchu'wI':
> > SuQaybe'pu'chugh, qar'a'?
> >
> > You used {Qay} twice in this sentence, with the person changing ships
> > once as subject and once as object. I'll accept it either way, but I'd
> > rather not have to switch back and forth. (I'm inclined to prefer the
> > thing being transferred as the object based on the example of {Hergh
> > QaywI'}, but I recognize that it's not a powerful example.)
>
>There's also {HoS QaymeH 'och} from the BoP poster.

I'm changing it from e.g. {Qay ghutar} to {Qay'egh ghutar}, and
leaving it as {qaQay}.

>Also, if {Qay}
>was intransitive, I'd have expected its definition to be "be
>transferred".

The only place I can think Okrand has done that is nge'/yaH.

>But does {Qay} even work for "transfer" in the sense of going from
>serving on one ship to serving on another, or going from travelling on
>one ship to travelling on another?  It seems like it means "transfer"
>in the sense of "to move a substance from one place to another", based
>on the two (admittedly not very conclusive) canon examples.

Moving a substance from container to container and moving a mang from
commander to commander are fundamentally different to you?  I might
question its use for boarding a different ship in the course of the
same journey, but think that transferring between posts matches the
meaning if anything does.

What would you say instead?

- Qov