[Tlhingan-hol] Beginner Story: nuq bop bom 76-78

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Jan 9 17:52:37 PST 2012

I'm sending this back to the list so that other beginners may check
their work, and other advanced Klingonists may check mine, and offer
you advice and encouragement.

(pab rejmorghpu': taghwI'vamvaD Hol vaghDIch 'oH tlhIngan Hol'e' 'ej
chaq loSDIch 'oH DIvI' Hol'e'.  pupbe'DI' DIvI' Hol pebepQo'.)

At 11:02 09/01/2012, you wrote:
>meH SeHtaHvIS DeghwI', yaS wa'DIch rIQ tlhej HoD.
>
>While helmsman is controlling the bridge, captain accompanies
>injured first officer.

maj.

>juppu' chaH 'e' qaw.
>
>He remembers they are friends.

bIlugh.

>wa'maH Hut ben vajar HoD ghaH yaS wa'DIch vav'e'.  (remember that
>vajar is the name of the captain)
>
>nineteen years ago first officer's father was vajars captain. (I'm
>not entirely sure here)

qatlh bISovbejbe'?  bIlugh.

>meH 'elqa'DI' HoD DeghwI' legh.
>
>  Captain sees helmsman as soon as he entered the bridge again.

HIja'.

>ravDaq Qotqa'taHmo' DeghwI' Heghpu' 'e' Haj HoD.
>
>As the helmsman lies on the floor again captain dreads he has died.

majQa'.

>QongchoHpu'mo' neH DeghwI' bIj 'e' buQ.
>
>As helmsman has been only sleeping he threatens him that he'll punish him.

tlhoS qar.

>(I'm not sure here about neH, I assume you use adv sense of that
>word, but shouldn't it be at the beginning then ? neH QongchoHpu'mo'
>DeghwI' bij 'e' buQ ?

Most adverbs go at the beginning, but neH is one of those special
adverbs that goes in a different place in the sentence. If it goes
after a verb it trivializes that verb "has merely fallen asleep".

>Also I'm not sure about -pu' in QongchoHpu'mo'. Qongpu'mo' seems to
>do the job here. I might have decoded it incorrectly.

Qongpu'mo' - has been sleeping, has slept
QongchoHpu'mo' - has fallen asleep. You correctly got the "fallen
asleep" idea from -choH in the next one, just not this one.

>DeghwI' SonDI' HoD, QongchoH HoD.
>
>As soon as captain relieves helmsman, captain falls asleep.

majQa'.

>-----Questions---- (answers not necessarily in the text, your
>imagination may be required)
>
>qatlh meHDaq mob DeghwI'?
>
>chaq DeghwI' par Hoch

bItlhaQ. DujvamDaq yIntaH loS nuv neH.  rIQqu'taH yaS wa'DIch.
tlhejtaH HoD. meH SeHtaH DeghwI' 'ej QongtaH HungpIn.

>chay' DeghwI' bIj HoD?
>
>cha' Hoghmey vutnIS DeghwI' (I wanted to say here something like: He
>will need to cook for 2 weeks. Or even he will need to work as a
>cook. cha' Hoghmey vutwI' mojnIS DeghwI'.)

A useful trick for you is qaStaHvIS <time period> "while <time
period> occurs". That is "during" or "for" the time period.

qaStaHvIS cha' Hoghmey vutnIS DeghwI'.

majQa'. qaStaHvIS wa' Hogh puchpa' Say'nISmoH. SochHu' 'e' ra' HoD.

>  'Iv ghaH yaS wa'DIch vav'e'?
>
>qaw tlhIngan wo' 'e' HoD'e' noyqu' ghaH (I'm probably wrong here:
>He's the most famous captain empire remembers.)

Remember that the 'e' must represent the sentence before it, and that
that sentence must be the object of the  next sentence.

Maybe:

HoD noyqu' ghaH 'e' qaw tlhIngan wo' - The Empire remembers that he
is a very famous captain.

You can learn a special new construction: law'/puS.

HoDvam noy law' Hoch noy puS - this captain is the most famous of all

>qatlh Doy' DeghwI' HoD je?
>
>ram naQ Duj tI'taH chaH (I was trying to say They have been fixing
>ship entire night, however I couldn't fine way to use present
>perfect continous in tlhIngan Hol, what I wrote in the end in my
>opinion is: They was fixing ship whole night. However there might be
>a better way to say it. Any advices ?)

You want qaStaHvIS again, and don't forget the verb prefix.

qaStaHvIS ram naQ Duj lutI'taH.

>poS Hu' ghIlghameS vIHev. vIlaD 'e' vInab. ngeD mu'tay' 'e' vIQoy.
>DaleDpu''a' ?

I think you made a typing error here. Did you mean loSHu' - four days
ago? wej paqvetlh vIghaj jIH. chaq vIje'.

- Qov