[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh wa'maH wej: <wIvmey>

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Thu Jan 5 12:39:37 PST 2012

At 12:06 05/01/2012, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 1:37 AM, Qov <robyn at wabyn.net> wrote:
> > motlh *Dugh* luqeltaHvIS jonwI' 'Ij 'e' tIv HoD 'ach DaH *Dugh* Heghbat
> > lunab.
>
>lugh'a' <motlh> Daq? wot tlhejbogh vIqIm. "He usually enjoys
>listening" DaHech qar'a'? "He enjoys usually listening" vIlaD.

bIlugh. I write an adverb. I write the sentence it modifies and then
I modify the sentence, and I don't always make sure it's still tied
tightly enough to the bit it modified.  One could write a parser that
would hound me on this enough that I'd stop. I hope. Now it's:

{*Dugh* luqeltaHvIS jonwI' 'Ij motlh 'e' tIv HoD}

> > buSchuqmo' latlh jonwI'pu' qaH'engvaD ja',...
>
>'utbe' <-vaD>.  DuQoymeH nuv bIjatlhchugh, nuvvam Daja'.

<jatlh> vIchoHDI' mojaq vIteqbe'pu'

> > choH qaH'eng qab. lajlaw'.
>
>Every once in a while, I notice something like this. It reads
>perfectly well in Klingon, with no hint of anything unusual. As soon
>as I start to translate it I remember that there's a rich set of
>descriptions for facial expressions that an author would likely have
>used had it been composed in English.

This week I'd settle for the verb trickle, and some more emotions.

> > jatlh jonpIn. "...*Dugh* naQ ma'laHbe'mo' lupDuj choQmaj,
> > loQ Duj wIlaghnIS. latlh HanDogh wIchevnISba' 'a ghaytan meH wIchevnIS je."
>
>tlham tIH tlhuDwI' Hutlhlaw' *veS*.

chay' boQ?

> > "Duj bowoDmeH bolagh jatlhlaw' Sa'," jatlh vajar.[118]
> > [118] Or uh, what prefix would you put here for "qImyal said you ..."?
>
>Yeah, I got a sense of disorientation when I read it. I'd pretend the
>problem doesn't exist, and say it this way:
>
>   Duj bowoDmeH bolagh 'e' vIQub. muja'law' Sa'.
>
>The first sentence doesn't have to be a quotation. It's just a statement.

At least you're admitting you're pretending. I want an answer on
this. (not that I'm expecting you to provide one.) It's just become a
rainbow of confusion as more and more characters report each others
staments in incresingly complex combinations. Is it confusing for
Klingons too, or perfectly natural?

> > Sa' lumISmoHlaw'pu' jonwI'pu' tlhach mu'mey.
>
>pIj jonwI' yajbe'law' vu'wI' 'e' vI'ollaH.

Not everyone would be writing what she knows as a field engineer
reports on the repairs of a disabled vessel, but I am.

> > "HoD 'oH je patlhwIj'e'," jatlh jonpIn.
>
>I'm uncomfortable with this particular "to be" construction. This is
>probably just a personal quirk of mine, but it seems wrong to say it
>that way. Her rank isn't a captain, or "the" captain, but that's how
>my brain really wants to interpret it. It's not like saying {nuH 'oH
>je ghopDaj'e'}.
>
>For some reason, it sounds right to me in the other direction:
>{patlhwIj 'oH je HoD'e'}. I think it's the type 4 noun suffix on
>{patlh} that keeps the "is a/is the" interpretation of {'oH} at bay.
>I'm not quite sure why I don't have the same problem with {HoD}
>referring to the name of the rank instead of a person having that rank
>when it's used as the subject.
>
>I'd like to hear what others have to say about it.

I don't have a problem with it the other way.

> > "bota'ta'DI' DujvetlhDaq bIrmoHmeH taS vItu'chugh, boSop."
>
>buQ'a'? qID'a'? ram. qu'bej, 'ej...

vIghelpu' je jIH. luSopbej 'e' raDbe', 'ach ratlhchugh taSvetlh
belHa'qu'. luyaj.

> > "lu', HoD!" jatlh ne'pu' ghIq mej.
>
>...luvuvba'.

HIja'. tlhIngan machqu' yIn vIqeltaH je. yIntaHmeH valnIS 'ej qu'nIS.

This 'ay' changed so much since I first wrote it that the title no
longer makes sense. Ah I guess they're still choosing which bits to
lop off. The title was more important before.

My continued thanks to everyone reading, and there's still time for
requests. You want space battles? You want alien creatures? You want
blood on the ceiling? You want relativistic physics? You want ion
storms? You want handwaving? You want conspiracies?  You want time
travel? All but three of those are planned or written already, but
I'll gladly accede to requests. nuq ghoS lut? vISov. 'ach nuqDaq
ghoS? tuqeSlaH.

- Qov

P.S. I'm still laughing at lojmIt tI'wI' nuv thinking I'd cling to
something. That's not me, is it?