[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Food

Lieven Litaer lieven.litaer at web.de
Wed Jan 4 12:30:18 PST 2012

Am 27.12.2011 14:19, De'vID jonpIn wrote:
> 'anan naHQun:
>> bread - tIr ngogh
>> cheese - nIm wIb ngogh
>
> Do people agree that {nIm wIb} is the word for "cheese" (the substance
> or ingredient) and that {nIm wIb ngogh} refers to a physical block or
> lump of cheese?

I think we will keep having the problem that the words from Eurotalk are
only words "how a klingon describes terran things."
Of course, yes, {nIm wIb ngogh} is a "description" for cheese, but {nIm
wIb} sounds like just sour milk to me, not cheese.

Would a slice of cheese then be a {nIm wIb ngoghHom}?

No, I'm sure it's not. Since {ngogh} means something like a brick, a
{ngoghHom} is still a brick, but just smaller. Marc Okrand wrote that
Maltz had "seen humans eating {yuch ngoghmey}..."

> {tIr ngogh nIm wIb ngogh je} sounds to me like a cheese sandwich
> (i.e., a block of cheese between two slices of bread).  Maybe {tIr nIm
> wIb je ngogh} would be cheesebread (that is, there is one {ngogh} and
> it's both {tIr} and {nIm wIb}).

That is a "block of wheat with sour milk"... YUCK!  ;-)

> Then "garlic bread" would be {tIr gharlIq 'oQqar je ngogh}.

I would just say {gharlIq tIr ngogh}, regarding {tIr ngogh} as a unit.

All of this is just my opinion, I think.

Greetings,
   Lieven.