[Tlhingan-hol] On the word {tlho'} and its kin

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh qunchuy at alcaco.net
Mon Jan 2 13:02:03 PST 2012

On Jan 2, 2012, at 5:57 AM, Felix Malmenbeck <felixm at kth.se> wrote:

> I've been thinking, therefore: What if the word {tlho'} refers to
> something more than just uttering a ritualized set of words? What if
> it actually refers to repaying somebody's honorable actions, not
> because it is demanded of one but because one feels gratitude
> towards them?

I try always to keep in mind the meaning "appreciate" when I find
myself wanting to use {tlho'}. If I tell someone {qatlho'} it means I
appreciate him or her.

On the other hand, a quick {tlho'} from me is typically a simple
substitution for "thanks", impulsively following my deeply rooted
cultural imperative of ritualized politeness.

-- ghunchu'wI'