[Tlhingan-hol] On the word {tlho'} and its kin

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Jan 2 09:50:58 PST 2012

Thank you. I've been thinking a lot about this because I've been
working with thanks and apology in my story lately. Here we have a
language with the words tlho' and tlhIj but a culture where you don't
say these things. I've tried to contrast the non-Klingon aliens in
one part of the story with the Klingons in the other part.

In over 50,000 words my uses of tlho' by or about Klingons are only these:

jIyIntaHmo' 'oy'vetlh vItlho'.  = could almost have been 'oy'vetlhmo' jIQuch

matlh 'Ipba'ta' DeghwI' 'ach DaH 'Ip tlho'laH HoD. = similar to
'oHmo' Do', but luck didn't really enter into it.

"ghIrel Dutlho'bejjaj yo' qIj." = There should have been a comma
there. "May the Black Fleet most decidedly thank you, ghIrel." This
doesn't specify what form the thanks should take. He could well mean,
"They'd better give you a fine ship to captain."

A crew who is rescued owes their lives to three different parties for
the rescue. I'm writing a scene now where they beam down for the
purpose of what in English would be to thank the person who
recognized their distress call for what it was and passed it on to
the proper authorities.  Humans would say "thank you" maybe bring her
a case of beer (ok that's Canadians). I have a member of the Klingon
crew say "We have to honour her" and I think I have worked out what
will happen in this scene, and it turns out to be mean more to the
recipient of their thanks than they know, but they will never say
words resembling <pItlho'>.

In person when humans are speaking Klingon and feel a need to express
thanks we often say "choquvmoH."  That expression for me predates the
word tlho', so seems more genuine Klingon anyway. (I learned Klingon
from the first edition TKD, so everything since has been a mu' chu'
for me!  The way my mother considers the Original Six to be the only
real NHL teams.) I try to avoid overuse of that, so it doesn't just
become the Klingon for thank you. As I check, about half the
instances of me using quvmoH are actual descriptions of someone
actions honouring their family/ship and the other half are someone
shining someone's nose.

Here's something I recently wrote that shows I support your idea of
gratitude as a kind of charge that accumulates. A Klingon has
received an unexpected gift from someone. He didn't say thank you for
the gift, and the gift was an unstated thank you for something he had
done for a friend of the donor.

motlh tlho'chuqbe'mo' tlhInganpu', vI'law'taH tlho'nISghachchaj; chaq
SomDaq vI'taHbogh tatmey rur. Som wewmoH 'ej tlhInganpu' vuvqu'chuqmoH.

I agree with you that Klingon thanks should be action not a word that
takes the place of any real expression of gratitude.

I've left out numerous instances of non-Klingons saying thank you,
and a search for tlhIj was almost hilarious in the amount of
apologizing my non-Klingons do.

I decided to have a Klingon scientist explicitly say <jItlhIj> but
she was speaking to an alien, and she was experienced with alien
cultures, and understood the concept of alien word-rituals different
from replacement proverbs.  She isn't, however, comfortable with the
concept of abasement as part of the ritual of apology. And what do
Klingons with no knowledge of alien cultures do with that word, tlhIj?

Perhaps this. In one scene a Klingon offers a replacement proverb for
poor behaviour and in assessing his attitude towards her, the other
Klingon thinks, <SIbI' tlhIjta'>. I'm not sure if that's right. Does
<qa'meH vIttlhegh ja'ta'> mean roughly the same thing as <tlhIjta'>
to a Klingon? I've used tlhIj twice as though it did.

A crewmember says: "HoD, ghu'vam vIqaSmoHta'mo' jItlhIj." He's
deliberately precipitated an uncomfortable situation. He's not sorry.
It doesn't constitute a loss of honour, in fact he's done it to
preserve people's honour. He's not looking for forgiveness. He just
wants to acknowledge that he knows he brought this upon them and that
the captain may not be at this moment entirely happy about the situation.

For me QoS is a word to express sympathy, or sometimes regret, never apology.

Maybe I'll start putting more footnotes about these decisions I'm
making, because I really like this kind of discussion. You see
anything that doesn't seem Klingon or seems an odd choice in my
story, please pull it out so we can debate it and all get better.

- Qov