[Tlhingan-hol] How do we know what -Ha' means? (Was: Re: ramwI'mey)

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Tue Feb 28 14:00:47 PST 2012

At 12:13 28/02/2012, you wrote:
>A discussion about a misunderstood word (attached below) has led to
>a question about how we know what -Ha' means. I don't remember
>having had much trouble with it in context, or people unable to
>understand my usage. Do we just use context and canon? I'll pick
>some random verbs and you tell me what your tlhIngan Hol Duj tells
>you they mean. Qagh pagh lagh pagh Dap? I'll give my impressions in
>another e-mail so as not to prejudice your choices.

I deliberately picked these without thinking about them and avoided
ones that were canon or commonly used.

>nenHa'

Doesn't make much sense without context. It could be used in a
discussion of a genetic problem that made an organism mature
incorrectly, and I would also accept it in the Curious Life of
Benjamin Button sense.

>cha'Ha'

I think of someone displaying a slide upside down or botching a demo.

>SevHa'

The error meaning and the undo meaning aren't that far apart. jagh
wISevHa' -- pujmo' 'ev SuvwI'pu'ma' narghpu' jagh.

>wuDHa'

Context could make it sleep apnea. I would object to someone trying
to make it mean wuDbe'choH.

>tlhIvHa'

Compliant, respectful of superiors.

>jeghHa'

Accidentally waved a red flag instead of a white one OR rescinded a
surrender. I'd have to wait for context.

>'IqHa'

I wouldn't know. I'd look for indications it meant yapbe' and way way
too many such that a bad thing happened. I would suggest a clearer
way to express the meaning.

>pumHa'

Mistakenly accuse, fall wrong (i.e. in an anctivity where falls are
normal like skiing, judo, fall and hurt yourself), or in a record
played backwards, un-fall.

>HeSHa'

Could be to redeem oneself for a crime, but it would need context.

My conclusion from the exercise is nothing new: context is everything
and no isolated word "means" something in Klingon.

I just peeked at SuStel's and see that we match in some cases and
where we don't the interpretations he has all seem doable in context.

- Qov