[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh loSmaH loS: <mIwmey motlh>

ghunchu'wI' qunchuy at alcaco.net
Sat Feb 18 18:47:01 PST 2012

On Feb 18, 2012, at 8:19 PM, Robyn Stewart <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:

>> vaj pajbe'law' ghu'.
>
> pavbe'law'? [See, see how easy it is to do?]

Good job. (It wasn't a typo. I was working offline without a dictionary and just misremembered the word.)

>> > jatlh "yuQlIj wIbavchoHta'. nuqDaq luchlIj wIQol DaneH?" Quv ja' 'eSSIm. ja'
>> > Sogh, "DaHjaj Du' qachlIj chu' mutlhmeH, Qol cha' negh 'ej DunuDmeH Qol je
>> > Qel."
>>
>> *lu*mutlhmeH, qar'a'?
>
> ghobe'!  negh ghaH. It drives me crazy but if it's {nuqDaq 'oH ngop'e'} then it has to be {qach mutlhmeH negh}. There are multiple times in this story that I've been desperate to use lu- for clarity but I'm stuck with a choice between QaS and negh.

The {cha'} preceding {negh} makes it plural in my mind when I don't think about it too hard. Have I forgotten some relevant canon regarding explicitly counting inherently plural nouns?

-- ghunchu'wI'