[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh loSmaH jav: <nIteb vang>

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Tue Feb 7 21:18:58 PST 2012

At 19:05 07/02/2012, you wrote:

>Just been getting back into the lut'a' after a little while of not having had
>time to read much of it.

Glad to have you back any time. I'm trying to write it so it's still
interesting and not baffling without having followed it all, and I'll
happily answer any "who was she again?" or "what did I miss that
makes THIS make sense?" type questions.

>qonta' Qov, jatlh:
> > jatlh Mahoun, "bItlhIjtaHvIS bIqu'be'nIS. bItuHnIS. bIpujnIS. tlhIjtaHvIS
> > vay' maqbe'. HeSpu' 'e' lIjqang latlh 'e' tlhob. SeQchu'chugh tlhIjwI' tor.
> > mInDu' tIbejqu'Qo'. bIjatlhpu'DI' bIng yIbejchoH."
>
>tlhInganpu'vaD ngeDbe'ba' tlhIjmeH mIw tIgh je...

'eSSIm mISmoHbej yelwIyyItngan tIgh.

> > jatlh 'eSSIm, "tIy-'a-DIy-'In-SanvaD vIruch. yISuq."
>
>{jIruch} lo'nISlu''a'? vay' ruchlaH'a' vay'? Dajbej lo'vam.

I didn't know the canon on this. I thought jIruch would mean "I will
proceed" and "vIruch" "I will do it."

> > yay'law' chIjwI'. tay ta'Ha'pu' 'e' SIv 'eSSIm ghIq jatlh Tiadynsan,
> > "bItlhIj 'e' vIlaj, 'eSSIm Duy."
>
>{bItlhIj 'e' vIlaj} sounds like a bit of an Englishism to me, but I think
>it's right anyway. Weird.

I like that you are very cautious about not doing things in an
English way just because it's how they are done in English.  I'd
welcome suggestions for what else one might do with an apology. Or is
it the 'e' vIlaj structure rather than the verb that raises your eyebrows?

> > "e'Sem?" jatlh be'.
> > "Farsajii HungpIn jIH," jatlh be'. "nuHmeylIj Dateyqangya'?"
>
>Hee. You've done this sound-mangling well. Not so weird that I can't get at
>the meaning, but just weird enough to be believable from a mediocre second-
>language speaker. majQa'.

I combed through all the Yelwitian crew names looking for the sounds
she might not know, and I think the glottal stop is tricky for her. I
also put in enough context so even if you can't read through her
accent you can get it.

>lut Hoch vIlaDqa' 'e' vItagh pay' vIneH!

choQuchmoH. QaghmeywIj HujwI'meywIj DangeHchugh vItI'.

http://nuqbopbom.blogspot.com

- Qov