[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rIQ

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sun Feb 5 11:51:44 PST 2012

A good example of the suffix -taH in action:

KGT (p. 112):
{vIHtaH gho.} ("The hoop is moving.")
"This expression means that an activity of finite
(though perhaps indeterminate) length has started."
[...]
"In the idiom,
the verb occurs with the suffix {-taH} ("continuous"), im-
plying that the hoop continues to roll for a period of time
(though it will not do so forever)."

Also, on page 90:
"The outer covering of a fruit or vegetable ({yub,}
"husk, rind, peel") is always consumed, except in the case
of the {naHlet yub} ("nut shell"). Klingons typically gnaw
({choptaH}---literally, "continue biting") on the nut until it
cracks open, and then they spit out ({tlhIS}) the pieces of
shell (occasionally at a nearby diner, as a gesture of so-
ciability) before chewing and swallowing the rest."

-taH here appears to be used to show that the biting isn't a single event, but a process.
{banan naH chevmeH chop ghaH.} - He bit the banana in order to sever it.
{naHlet yub ghor[-/taH/lI'?]meH choptaH ghaH.} - In order to break the nut shells, she gnawed on it.

Also, from HolQeD:
http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=1994-09-holqed-03-3-a.txt&get=source
HQ: Well, if {nobtaHghach} means something like <ongoing giving>, would
    {nobghach} mean a one-time donation?

MO: Yes, but it's a funny word for that. It could also be {nobpu'ghach}, a
    <*given>.