[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: maS

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Thu Dec 27 13:55:03 PST 2012

>> How do y'all deal with saying things like "He/She prefers X over Y."?
> X maS; Y maSbe'.

That makes sense ... and is quite economical! In particular, I think that works very well when one wants to talk about actions.

jIyIt 'e' vImaS. jIqet 'e' vImaSbe'.

Sort of like the canonical:
bISuv ’e’ yIwIv bISutlh ’e’ yIwIvQo’. {"Choose to fight, not negotiate."}

I'd probably use some other alternative when wanting to say "ghaH prefers X over Y, but prefers Y over Z.", since otherwise there's a risk I'd be perceived to be contradicting myself.
X maS; Y maSbe'. Y maS; Z maSbe'.

http://www.trimboli.name/