[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: maS

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Thu Dec 27 11:20:50 PST 2012

How do y'all deal with saying things like "He/She prefers X over Y."?

My usuall way of saying it is {X Y je qelDI' [ghaH], X maS [ghaH].}

When specifically speaking of one's own preferences, I suppose {X qaq law' Y qaq puS.} would do the job.
When you want to talk about another person's preferences, I suspect adding {ghaHvaD} to the beginning would do the job in most cases (though not all; if you're talking about assassinations, the sentence {voDleHvaD tar qaq law' Daqtagh qaq puS.} might not be a statement of the Emperor's personal preference).

Perhaps a less ambiguous way to say it would be {X qaq law' Y qaq puS 'e' Qub [ghaH].} ("He/She thinks that X is more preferable than Y.").

I guess one could also do something with -'e' (similar to what one can do with law'/puS constructions).

{X'e' Y'e' je X maS ghaH.} - "Concerning X and Y, he/she prefers X."
{Hoch SuvwI''e' ghaH vImaS.} - "Of all the warriors, I prefer him/her."