[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon TTS

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 09:02:26 PST 2012

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Michael Roney, Jr. PKT
<nahqun at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 3:37 AM, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Also, does anyone have
>> recordings of each of the sounds of Klingon which does *not* come from a
>> copyrighted or commercial source?
>>
> Last time I asked for such recordings for an app I was directed to
> http://kli.org/tlh/sounds.html
> I'd suggest making your own sounds.

After investigating this, it seems that it would not be easy to add
Klingon to the Android TTS.

As a first step, Klingon would have to be added to an open source TTS
system such as espeak.  Instead of using recorded sound, espeak uses
formant speech synthesis. There are a large number of tech people
among Klingonists, aren't there?  I challenge y'all to add the
synthesis rules for Klingon to espeak.  Note that someone has added
Lojban already.
http://espeak.sourceforge.net/languages.html

If someone could do that, then I'll work on porting it to Android.

Wouldn't it be cool if your computer or phone spoke to you in Klingon?
 I know you want to make this happen...