[Tlhingan-hol] birds (was Re: Klingon Bird-of-Prey Haynes Manual)

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 02:05:25 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 5:29 AM, jaSwa'
<DarksideTheMidnightShadow at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was under the impression from the beginning that qISa'ruj was a type of bird, since "raptor" literally means "bird of prey."

jISovchu'be'.  The word {qISa'ruj} comes from Klingon Monopoly, where
it refers to a class of starship called the "raptor" in English.  In
the Haynes manual, however, the same ship class is called {raptor}
(spelled like that in {pIqaD}).  So it's not clear whether {raptor} is
a Klingon word that just happens to sound somewhat like the English
word "raptor" (much like how {Qo'noS} sounds sort of like "Kronos" to
a human ear), or whether the ship class name refers to a  type or
category of bird.