[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nIm wIb ngogh

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sun Dec 16 05:42:32 PST 2012

> Wouldn't that be "sour milk pillow?"

I believe {ngogh tun} is just a description of a pillow, rather than a fixed phrase.
Also, even if it were fixed, I think it should be fine; it's still a valid description, just as {nagh beQ} is a valid description of any flat rock, even if it's not a piece of art; context should clear out the ambiguity in most cases.

Maltz on {ngogh tun}:

Then there was a question about "pillow."  Someone suggested {QongDaqvaD
meyrI' tun ghoDlu'bogh}.  Maltz first said, as did you, that Klingons
don't have pillows and he wondered why anyone would want one.  But he's
seen them (somewhere) and knows what they are.  So when pushed -- "If
you have to call it something, what would you call it?" -- he said
{ngogh tun}.  A {ngogh} is a "block" or "lump" or "brick."  He said he's
seen humans eating {yuch ngoghmey} and found that strange.  I'm not sure
what form he'd prefer his {yuch} to be.  While thinking about food, he
added that the word for "bread" is {tIr ngogh}.