[Tlhingan-hol] ramDaq jIQongbe’

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 02:53:25 PST 2012

quljIb:
>>Okay, so with all the extra help, advice, and vocabulary(!), here's what
>>I've got:
>>    qaStaHvIS ram jItlhovtaH 'ej jItlhuHHa'taH.

jang jaSwa', jatlh:
>>    I could be wrong, but wouldn't ram jIQongbe' be sufficient? I was
>>under the impression that -Daq is locative and tends to be attached to
>>    tangible objects, but simply putting ram at the beginning
>>automatically sets the sentence at night. jaSwa' Hochlogh bechjaj Hoch
>>jaghpu'wI'

quljIb:
>>    ghobe'.  I meant to emphasize the fact that my breathing was
>>interrupted.  {jIQongbe'} means "I can't sleep", which could be for
>>*any* reason.

mu'tlheghlIj DatI'pu' 'ach QIn per DachoH 'e' DalIjlaw'.  'ej "I can't
sleep" 'oS {jIQonglaHbe'}.

jaSwa' was referring not to your updated sentence, but to the subject
of this email (which contains your original sentence).

jaSwa':
> I guess I don't understand what you mean with your. I was talking about the time stamp and locative suffix combination. How does that emphasis insomnia? Maybe there's something I'm not seeing.

quljIb thinks you are talking about the sentence beginning {qaStaHvIS
ram...}.  The problem with *{ramDaq} was already pointed out earlier,
and the sentence has already been fixed to address this.

The difference between {ram...} and {qaStaHvIS ram...} is that the
first is "at night", while the second is "during the night, throughout
the night".