[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nuD

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Dec 12 13:40:45 PST 2012

> I believe that (a) you don't intentionally insult someone by using the
> wrong suffix

I think you might, going by TKD:

---------
These suffixes occur in, for example, {joHwI'} <my lord> and
{puqlI'} <your child.> It is grammatically correct to use the
regular possessive suffixes with nouns referring to beings
capable of speech (as in {puqlIj} <your child>), but such con-
structions are considered derogatory; {joHwIj} for <my lord>
borders on the taboo. Students of Klingon should bear this
in mind.

---------

Granted, that was with regards to genitive, not plural, but the general idea may still hold.

> (b) whether you use a language-using suffix or not
> depends on the normal use of a noun, not the individual situation.

I suspect I sort of agree with you, and sort of don't. I don't have any references, but my general feel is this:

When speaking in metaphor, you would use whatever suffix is appropriate within the scope of the metaphor. For example, when calling people animals*, the metaphor is one in which they are *actual* animals (and therein lies the punch; it wouldn't be much of an insult to say "You're animals (except for the many ways in which you differ from animals, which - I'll admit - are quite many)!")). So, it'd still be {Ha'DIbaHmey}.

However, if talking about animals which really were capable of language ... force of habit may cause me to say {Ha'DIbaHmey} (much as the handles of a {nevDagh} are called {DeSqIvDu'}), but upon closer inspection, I'd probably have to admit that {Ha'DIbaHpu'} would be correct.

However, I suppose one could argue that what one has done then - in one's head, at least - is to add a new use of the noun:
{Ha'DIbaH} can now mean either 1) animal-in-general [common usage] or 2) animal-capable-of-language [rare].
The two are separate concepts in one's mind, but happen to be represented by the same word.

*Throughout this e-mail, I'll be talking about animals as those humanoids aren't animals. Not sure what the case is with the Klingon word {Ha'DIbaH}.

> Whatever a {petaQ} is, it is probably something that doesn't use
> language, so the plural {petaQmey} is used. You don't change that plural
> when you are applying it to language-users.

An alternative explanation is that Molor was referring to Kahless' "p'takhs scattered all about"; his "rabble of p'takhs", if you will.

[Also, it may be worth noting that elsewhere in paq'batlh (paq'raD, Canto 4), we have the phrase {nuqDaq ghaH petaQ'e'}, so that's at least one piece of evidence suggesting that a {petaQ} is treated as capable of language.]