[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HI'tuy

jaSwa' DarksideTheMidnightShadow at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 12:24:59 PST 2012

I wouldn't translate HI''a' as "tyrant," because "dictator" doesn't have an inherently negative meaning and only started to be used negatively within the last seventy years or so. Case in point: the dozens of movies from the 1920s and 1930s from the US in which a dictator comes to power and fixes all the country's problems. At the time, the desire by US citizens to be governed by a dictator was pretty strong, but dictators ended up being just the current fad that went out when the Second World War came in (and ruined the public's perception of dictators). Contrast to "tyrant," which inherently has a negative meaning while a dictator is simply an absolute ruler that isn't a monarch.

I would add the slang word ngup (similar to the English expression "the man") to this list, though.

jaSwa'

Hochlogh bechjaj Hoch jaghpu'wI'