[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghomHa'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 10 13:15:31 PST 2012

> Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, December 09, 2012
>
> Klingon word: ghomHa'
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: scatter, disperse
> Source: TKD

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

Trek trivia:

After welcoming them aboard First Officer Worf dismissed the group of "replacement" crewmen for the IKC Rotarran saying, "{/Deen(?)/ ghomHa'!}" (DS9 "Sons & Daughters").  It wasn't subtitled or captioned, but this was how I heard it.

This could be {DIghomHa'} "we dismiss them" though I don't know who "we" refers to in the scene.  Another option could be *{DaH ghomHa'!} "Disperse now!" (clipped, with a mis-remembered or badly pronounced {DaH}: *deeh* using the usual English pronunciation for final /h/).

OTOH the verb {ghom} "meet, encounter, assemble, rendezvous" has been used much more:

tachDaq maghom
We will meet in the cocktail lounge. TKD

bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj
May you encounter Kahless in your dreams! PK

tlhIngan 'avwI' lughom
They meet a Klingon guard. PK

tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga' Duj tI'ang ghompu' DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was encountered in the 24th century by the USS Enterprise. S15

rut yIHmey ghom
Hoch Everyone encounters tribbles occasionally. TKW

ngoch luchermeH 'ej wo' San luwuqmeH pa' ghom tlhIngan yejquv DevwI'pu'
where the leaders of the Klingon High Council meet to determine policy and decide upon the fate of the Empire. S25

ghom gholpu'
The Opponents Meet PB

ghomchuqqa' loDnI'pu' vav je (PB 103, 203)

naDev Sughompu' 'ej Qo'noS SuvwI'pu' Hem tlhIH
All of you here, Proud warriors of Kronos PB

'ej Hemey pIm ghoS qa' qo'Daq ghomqa' chaH
And Lukara knew they would meet again PB

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons