[Tlhingan-hol] wojmoHwI' yupma'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 10 08:23:03 PST 2012

Gaerfindel:
>> chorgh ram maw' tIv law' wa' jaj tIv puS.

De'vID:
> "Eight crazy nights are more {tIv} than one day."  I don't quite get
> this because {tIv} "enjoy" is not a "quality" verb.  Presumably you
> intend something meaning "be enjoyable".  Maybe {belmoH}?  I'm not
> sure that works in a {law'}/{puS} construction though.

Okrand often uses various types of introductory clauses or phrases preceding the law'/puS formula.  In this case you can use a purpose clause:

  tIvmeH chorgh ram maw' qaq law' wa' jaj qaq puS.

For models (I've marked the introductory clauses by <angle brackets>) see:

<jonlu'meH> wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS
Our Empire's highest bounty has been placed on his head. (ST5 notes)

<tlhutlhmeH> HIq ngeb qaq law' bIQ qaq puS
Drinking fake ale is better than drinking water. (TKW)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons