[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Bird-of-Prey Haynes Manual

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 6 09:18:12 PST 2012

De'vID:
> *{yoD} is used for "shield" (force field generator), despite the
> note in KGT p.167 that the correct word is {botjan} [...]

KGT 67:  As protection against these various weapons, a warrior often carried a shield, or {yoD}, basically a large plate of metal... (Although the Federation Standard word shields refers to both the old hand-held protective armor, and the force field protecting a vessel--the newer meaning clearly based on the older--in Klingon, there is no connection between the two. The force field on a ship is called {botjan}. To shield a ship, one must activate the shields, or {botjan chu'}

KCD:  "The Klingon word {botjan} refers to shields or protective force-fields on a ship. The hand-held shield associated with traditional hand-to-hand combat is called {yoD}."

> [...] while {Qan} is used as a noun meaning armor (i.e., metal
> plating on a ship); given that we know {yoD} refers to a plate
> of metal, I would've used {yoD} for ship armor

{Qan} "protect" was only known as a verb in canon:

  Qang yIQan!
 [Protect the Chancellor! (untranslated)] ST6

  ghop luQan tajHommey
  [the blades] providing both a hand guard... SP2

  qaQan
  I protect you. KLS

  Qang QanmeH yan 'ISletlh Damuv 'e' wIvlu'.
  You are chosen to serve on the Yan-Isleth and protect the chancellor. MKE

The nomen agentis {QanwI'} "protector" was used in "Talk Now! Klingon":

  DIr QanwI' taS
  suntan lotion TNK

  mIn QanwI' nguv
  sunglasses TNK

and for some armor plating on the BoP Poster:

  tal QanwI'
  cannon guard

Perhaps here {QanwI'} refers to a particular type, area or set of armor plates - like the bumper on a car or the cow-catcher on an old-style locomotive.

> *{DuD} is used as a noun for "manifold"

{DuD} "mix, stir" (v) and {DuDwI'} "stirring stick" (n) are known, although neither have been used in a Klingon sentence.

> *{tlhIlHal}, or a corrupted version thereof, is used for "mine" in
> the sense of "proximity explosive" rather than "place from which
> resources are extracted" - it seems the translator realised this
> wasn't the right word and dropped a few letters to make *{tlhHl}

I've always used {jorwI'} "explosive" or *{jormeH jan} "explosive device" for this.  {jorwI'} is used for a "bomb" in Monopoly:

  jorwI'mey ghaymo' qarDaSnganpu', Hegh SuvwI'pu'lI' law'
   'ej rIQ SuvwI'pu'lI' law'
  Suffer major losses after Cardassian bombing campaign. MKE

FYI {tlhIlHal} "mine" (n) - lit. "mineral source/supply" - in canon:

  cha'puj tlhIlHal vISuch vIneH
  I want to visit the dilithium mines. CK

  tlhIlHal yIngev!
  Sell the mine! KGT

  tlhIlHal yIngIv!
  Patrol the mine! KGT

  rura' pente' tlhIlHalmey
  Rura Penthe Mines MKE

> We have one possibly genuine {mu' chu'}, but it is in doubt
> because the rest of the "Klingon" words in the body text are
> non-Okrandian, so I don't know if that one was supplied by
> Okrand or just happened to coincidentally match Okrandian
> Klingon phonology.

Which word is that?  Are you referring to *{DuD}?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons