[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ret

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 19:44:02 PST 2012

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Gaerfindel <gaerfindel at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  On 12/1/2012 11:32 AM, De'vID wrote:
>
> On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 6:36 AM, Gaerfindel <gaerfindel at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A correction: {netlh DIS law' ret tIQbe' yuQvam'e' tIQ, Sornganpu'
>> HuDnganpu' lung'a'pu' loDHompu' je toq.}
>

>  jIyajbe'.  jatlhlaH'a' lung'a'pu'qoqvetlh?  'ej toq 'Iv?
>

> In order:
>
> {lung} means "lizard" (KGT 218) so a {lung'a'} would be a "great lizard."
> {lung'a'pu'} implies they're capable of language, so...

I guess I just don't recognise the original quite.  "Tens of thousands of
years ago, this ancient planet was not ancient, tree-dwellers,
mountain-dwellers, (talking) great-lizards, and boys, [which is/are]
inhabited (?)".

> I indicated that {yuQvam}, "this planet," was the topic by adding the
> suffix {-'e'}.  Ergo this planet (Earth) is/was inhabited by the creatures
> I listed.  Given that I stated the topic in the previous sentence, I didn't
> think I needed to restate it in the second.

{toq} doesn't take an object.  The way you're written the sentence makes it
look like it's being applied adjectivally to {Sornganpu' HuDnganpu'
lung'a'pu' loDHompu' je}, which doesn't seem to be part of the previous
sentence.  This is why I asked {toq 'Iv?} "who (i.e., among the
tree-dwellers, mountain-dwellers, talking giant-lizards, and boys) is/are
inhabited?"  That is, which of those nouns does (the apparent adjective)
{toq} apply to?

Either the punctuation is incorrect (how does everything after the {tIQ}
relate to the sentence before it?), or the sentence is missing something
(maybe it should be {tIQbe'taHvIS}?), and/or you mean something like {Dab}
rather than {toq} (in which case the subject is the creatures and the
object is the planet).  As written, I don't seem to be able to parse your
sentence grammatically, although I think I now get the gist of what you're
trying to say.