[Tlhingan-hol] points, lines, triangles, general shapes, higher dimensional geometry, and related vocabulary

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 05:02:12 PDT 2012

Since I'm not at the {qep'a'}, I thought I'd throw this out there, in
case someone wins a prize and has a chance to get new vocabulary from
Maltz, but doesn't have any ideas what to ask (ha ha ha!).  Or maybe
someone can ask Dr. Okrand anyway, whether they've won a prize or
not...

I'd really like to know more about Klingon vocabulary for geometry.
We have {meyrI'} for "square", and we sort of have {gho} for "circle",
and maybe we can somehow get rectangles and ellipses out of those, and
maybe we can abuse *{DoD} for *"point" and {tlhegh} for *"(straight)
line" or *"line segment", but how is it possible that we don't know
the Klingon word for "triangle"?  Their displays are full of nothing
but triangles!

So, I'd like to know the words for Euclidean geometry... ideally
enough to translate Euclid, but I'll settle for points, lines,
triangles, rectangles, and general n-gons.

Also, imagine the party games you can play at the next {qep'a'} once
you can instruct someone how to draw these shapes!

Now I'm getting greedy, but I'd also like to know how to describe
3-dimensional objects, with words like "cube", "cylinder", "cone",
"pyramid", and so on.  Again, maybe it's too much to ask for the
Platonic solids, but it's darn difficult to do my job as a {jonpIn}
without words for basic geometry...