[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tap

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 14 07:12:59 PDT 2012

> Klingon word:   tap
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition:     mash, squash

As used in canon:

  yIntaH qIrq 'e' vIneH. DaSwIj bIngDaq latlhpu' vItap.
  Kirk I want alive. The rest I will grind beneath my boot.
  (STConst p.232)   [sic! typo for {qIrq'e'}?]

  gho[p]vam vItap
  "to squeeze this hand tight..." (PB 145)

KGT 92:  Finally, the way to prepare a common dish called {qompogh} is to mash ({tap}) a mixture of various types of {naH} (fruit, vegetable), with or without some animal matter, into a rather lumpy paste and then to let it {rogh} (ferment).

KCD:  *{velqa'}? is "a dessert dish made from the seeds of the pealain (*{pI'len}?) plant. The seeds are fermented, crushed, and jellied."

There are other types of mashing and squeezing:

qeb  squeeze (windbag instrument) (v)
rey  squeeze and stretch out (windbag instrument) (v)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons