[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: laQ

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Aug 10 12:16:01 PDT 2012

ghItlhta' ghunchu'wI',
>> meQ             be on fire (v)
> Hal yIngu'neS.

I'm guessing Voragh is extrapolating from <meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH> ("Only a fool fights in a burning house.").

Interestingly, it seems <meQ> can also mean "be burnt" (as in <Ha'DIbaHmey meQ Sop 'e' tIv tera'nganpu'>) and "to cause to burn" (as in <to'waQ meQ vutwI'>). [I'm a bit suspicious toward that last one, myself, and always use <meQmoH>, but it is canon.]

Interestingly, I sumbled across this video from "Star Trek: Klingon", yesterday: http://youtu.be/ljmey6wsmJQ?t=37s

While I can't tell exactly, it seems the first two lines are <'o meQ qul! 'o meQ chal!>
This is interesting to me, as I've always wondered if <meQ qul> was a correct way to say "the fire is burning" (since the fire is not actually on fire or being burnt).