[Tlhingan-hol] Bad Klingon in Trek novels (and the like)

Michael Roney, Jr. PKT nahqun at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 22:55:08 PDT 2012

I'd like to applaud the efforts of Keith R. A. DeCandido for his
excellent use of the language.
(And for naming a ship after my daughter!)
He has certainly taken the time to understand what he's doing.

That said, one of his books refers to {QongDaqpu'}.
Which reminded me of a scene in The Final Reflection where a kuve
contorts her body into a chair/bean bag to be sat upon.
(It's been a while, so forgive my memory.)

While it would certainly make for an interesting story to have one's
bed be a sentient life form; that's not what his intent was.
(I know, I e-mailed him about it.)

However, Michael A. Martin's use of the language was grating.
He used the words correctly enough; but he went out of his way to
explain them in English as well.

It's like watching a program for a pre-schooler where the host says a
phrase in Spanish, to someone who only speaks Spanish, and then
translates it into English for them.

I understood you the first time!

I have no problem with Joel, the person.

A while back, it came to his attention that I was compiling all of the
scraps of Klingon Bible translations from around the web.

He PM'd be to see if I had used any of his.

I'd rather eat dead qagh.

He understood, and said that he would've been surprised if I had been .

And there's supposed to be a link to a Human translator on his site,
but it seems to be broken.

~'anan naHQun

--
~Michael Roney, Jr.