[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jIm

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 3 10:51:52 PDT 2012

> >> Klingon word:   jIm
> >> Part of speech: verb
> >> Definition: heave (aircraft rising or falling without pitching)

Voragh:
>> Dav     sway (i.e. aircraft) (v)
>> Der     yaw (i.e. aircraft) (v)
>> jer     surge (i.e. aircraft) (v)
>> ron     roll, bank (e.g. aircraft) (v)
>> tor     pitch (i.e. aircraft) (v)

De'vID:
> wotmeyvetlh vIlo'taHvIS chay' lurgh vIngu'laH?  "roll left", "pitch
> up", "yaw right", etc.?

FYI here are some extracts from Okrand's article in HolQeD 11.2 where these aircraft-related words were introduced - in no particular order (I don't have the whole text in my notes):

  When the nose of an airplane or similar craft moves to the left or the right, the plane is said to {Der} "yaw".

  When it moves to the side (not when the nose points to the left or right, but when the plane slides to the left or right without otherwise changing its orientation), it is said to {Dav} "sway".

  And if it suddenly moves forwards or backwards, it is said to {jer} "surge".

  When the plane banks or rolls to one side or the other so that, say, the left wing is pointed somewhat (or even a lot) upwards while the right wing is pointed somewhat (or a lot) downwards, or vice versa, it is said to {ron} "roll".

  And when the nose of the plane moves up or down, the plane is said to {tor} "pitch". (The word {tor} also means "kneel", which Maltz thought was apt, since if a four-legged animal is able to kneel with either its hind legs or its front legs, it is able to pitch or tilt up or down.)

  When the plane moves up or down (not when the nose points up or down, but when the plane increases or decreases altitude, as if the whole plane is being pushed up or down), it is said to {jIm} "heave".

  The attitude of a plane is its orientation relative to something, such as the ghangwI' "horizon". [...] Weirdly, although Maltz said he knew of no noun meaning "attitude", the noun {lol} may show up in {lolSeHcha} "attitude control thrusters". [...] The attitude of an aircraft is often talked about in terms of angles. The word for "angle" is {tajvaj}. Klingon {taH} means "be at a negative angle".

And here are example sentences Okrand provided:

  qughmeH Duj vIlolmoH
  I put the vessel in the attitude for cruise (or cruising)

  Duj ronmoH 'orwI'
  the pilot banks the vessel (HQ 11.2)

--
Voragh