[Tlhingan-hol] chatlh wIb

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Apr 30 21:00:29 PDT 2012

At 20:40 '?????' 4/30/2012, De'vID jonpIn wrote:
>Qov:
> > 'eDjen ghaH'a'? chay' ghoj?
>
>ja' vutwI'.  I guess I should make that more explicit than the English.

I'm just giving you my stream of consciousness as I read. Feel free
to believe that I should have understood it for myself.

>De'vID:
> >> tagha', tlhoS Qay'mo' vIlle',
>
>Qov:
> > 'Iv ghaH vIlle'vam'e'? toy'wI ghaH'a'?
>
>jISovbe'.  vIlle' ghaH neH.

"Adherent" already has religious connotations, so that helps the
reader in English. I suppose it doesn't matter.

>Qov:
> > Maybe I'm glad you didn't go there, but the concept of fresher or
> not fermented helps to explain what was better about the soup.
> > As you'll see below, when I read the Klingon I thought it was
> about B berating himself for inadequately teaching his students to make
>soup, Making it clear that this was a matter of ingredient selection
>not cooking skill would have helped me here.
>
>I didn't want to overcomplicate things.

And I totally understand that. As I first began to read it I thought
"good for you for skipping that cultural note" but then when I
understood what the deal was with the {chatlh nIv} I thought it could help.

>Qov:
> >> , noticing that he was being served better miso than
> >> his pupils, asked: "Who is the cook today?"
> >
> > Ahhh. I read chatlhDaj QaQ law' ghojwI'Daj chatlh QaQ puS as the
> possession indicating the cook not the consumer. The English takes
> pains to avoid that interpretation.  Perhaps DuqDaj chatlh QaQ law'
> ... or chatlh Sopbogh QaQ law' ...
> >
> > If you serve me something and I say "my cake is better than
> yours," I'm insulting your cake (or talking up mine) not commenting
> on your generosity in giving me the best piece.
> >
> > I wonder (and apologize for) what wrong paths I send my readers
> down by failing to block a possible misinterpretation.
>
>I guess I need to repeat {Bankei}'s name to make this clear:
>chatlh'e' Sopbogh {Bankei} QaQ law' chatlh'e' Sopbogh ghojwI'pu'Daj
>QaQ puS 'e' tlhojmo' {Bankei}...

mu'tlheghvetlhmo' SIbI' qech vIyaj. maj.

- Qov