[Tlhingan-hol] Question regarding purpose clauses

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 20:56:48 PDT 2012

Unfortunately, Okrand has (gasp!) written some pretty ugly canon sentences.

In general, the way to write things so that they can be more clearly understood is to use the {-meH} affixed verb applied to a noun and not to a verb when you don't really mean that the purpose of the second verb's action is to do the first verb's action. This option was something many of us (including me) didn't think of back in the early days. Having that option really helps.

So, while Okrand did write {qIpmeH Qatlh'a'?}, it might have been somewhat clearer to have said {QatlhmeH DoS 'oH'a'?}. It would have even worked as {Qatlh DoS 'oH'a'?}, but that would not carry the sense that being difficult is the whole point of it being a target.

As for "I was going to visit you, but it was late," there are better options. {tlhoy jIpaSmo' qaSuchbe'.} Klingon doesn't have an irrealis or subjunctive. If you mean that something would have happened, except that X prevented it, then you need to say that the thing didn't happen because of X.

Besides, it's more direct that way.

In general, I think most people write better Klingon sentences if they begin with an expression that they wish to make and then survey the grammatical tools available in the language to find the best construction, instead of starting with a grammatical construction and searching for the full range of expressions that can be forced through it.

There are many posts to this list over the years that ask some variation on the question: "We all agree that we can say X with grammatical tool Y, but can we also say Z with it?" The answer is usually some variation on, "No."

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv
lojmIttI7wI7nuv at gmail.com