[Tlhingan-hol] qaghwI'

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sun Apr 22 22:00:51 PDT 2012

Not too surprising.

Remember that Hawai'ian was not a written language until recently,
and that its writing system was developed by linguists with the same
training and biases as Marc Okrand, and native tongues where the
glottal stop is not a phoneme. So they listened to the sounds,
developed a writing system based on IPA and English, and translated
the name of the qaghwI' into Hawai'ian.

So I'd have the same grumbling about it in Hawai'ian. Find me a
language with a native writing system and a phonemic glottal stop
that treats the glottal stop differently from t and k and q and I'll
be convinced. In Halkomelem, also with a linguist-imposed writing
system, the glottal stop is written as a 7. I like that better, as it
at least gives it the same weight as the other letters, and it
doesn't get lost as easily. Also makes it easier to tell that the
road signs aren't in Klingon!

- Qov