[Tlhingan-hol] Butterfly Project

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sat Apr 14 07:41:57 PDT 2012

Good job on doing your civic duty.

Imperative is appropriate and not rude. Even the English is imperative in "take a deep breath," or "feel your breath," and remember that the correct, non-rude translation of "could you please..." is with the imperative. Translating from Klingon to English, circumlocutions to avoid the imperative may be necessary but not vice versa. You didn't write: DaH peleS jay'! so it's not rude.

The friend being a butterfly should not in this case affect the translation, in my opinion.  As a yoga thing it seems to be a visual representation of a spirit. (My mother is into that, and the spirits are treated as capable of speech.

I didn't listen to the clip, so this may not apply, but there's a difference between the American turned r and the correct Klingon r, even if you don't trill it. It should never sound like American "brrr".

qaqeS: Make it an exercise for yourself to completely memorize the prefixes and suffixes so they are natural and sound WRONG unless correctly applied. Check your work. Check it any time you are not certain, and whenever you are wrong assign yourself to carefully read the whole page of TKD on which it appears.

DubnIS Hoch. chaq maSkypechuqlaH.

- Qov

Sent from a mobile device through a temporary connection.