[Tlhingan-hol] Question about question words

Josh Badgley joshbadgley at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 29 03:54:23 PDT 2011

I am re-reading the section in TKD covering question words and I am a bit confused.  I understand that one adds the Type 9 verb prefix -'a' to a sentence to make it a question

cholegh - You see me
cholegh'a' - Do you see me?

So according to TKD, these types of questions are yes/no questions, answerable by a simple HISlaH or ghobe'

And I also understand the use of question words

nIn 'ar wIghaj - How much fuel do we have?
chay' jura' - What are your orders ("How do you command us?")

But I also have noticed instances like this from ST3

Kruge: vaj Daleghpu' Then you have seen it?

And from PK

pu'HIch wIj Daleghpu' Have you seen my phaser pistol?

So does that mean that you don't always have to add -'a'?  Is it grammatically incorrect to add the interrogative particle onto a Type 7 suffix like -pu'?

vaj choleghpu' - Then you have seen me?

Does that work?  Because if not, I seriously have to check my short story for errors.  Like this sentence:

vaj nuHmeymaj leghpu' nuralnganpu' - Then the Neuralese have seen our weapons?

-- jhb