[Tlhingan-hol] FW: Google Search in Klingon

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 21 11:59:34 PDT 2011

For "news" or a "news item" I like to use the noun {potlh} "consequential thing, something important".

Examples of {wanI'} "phenomenon, event, occurrence" in canon:

naDev qaS wanI' ramqu'
There's nothing happening here. (TKD)

Heghlu'DI' mobbe'lu'chugh QaQqu' Hegh wanI'
Death is an experience best shared. (TKW)

wanI'vam Dun luleghlaHmeH tlhIngan SuvwI' Duypu' bongeH 'e' lutul tera'nganpu'
We hope that you can send a delegation of honorable emissaries to witness this glorious event.  ('U'-MTK; i.e. an opera)

qaStaHvIS wanI'vam yIDachQo'
Don't miss this event!  (WSC; i.e. a play)

Although he didn't mention {wanI'}, Okrand indicated the types of things he considers events in HolQeD 12.2 (p.8):

HQ 12.2:  When an event over which one has some control ends (one can't cause a month to end), a different verb is used: {van}. This would apply to such things as voyages, battles, plays, operas, stories, and songs. Here, the event (the voyage, the song) doesn't end; the participant in the event or the perpetrator of the event ends it.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: joshbadgley at hotmail.com

I know I'm still a newbie, but I would think wanI'mey would be a good way to say "news".  I've always felt the term "news" really just means the most current "events" or "occurences", and it seems pretty direct.  As an aside, I set my Facebook page to Klingon, and I really don't like the way they label "events" (in the sense of upcomming parties, or meetings, etc) as wanI'mey, so perhaps it's just my own bias that I want to see the term used differently :)

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 18:43:13 +0200

How would you translate the following terms?  I've divided them into two sections, terms from the main search page, and terms from the advanced search page.  I've also provided links to the current English and Klingon versions of those pages for reference.

News