[Tlhingan-hol] Stative verbs after je

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 20 22:00:19 PDT 2011

ghItlhpu' bI'reng, jatlh:
> Is there any consensus or canon for using stative verbs with nouns
> joined by {je}? Can you say something like {yaSpu', negh je, po'} for
> "skilled officers and soldiers"?

I don't know of any canon for it, but it seems to follow all the rules,
so grammatically I think it works (though I'd leave the commas out).

With that said, Klingon is more tolerant of repetition than English, so
personally I'd put this as yaSpu' po' negh po' je, a construction we do
have a canon example of:

HoS law'qu' luch law'qu' je
"a huge amount of the ship's power and technology"
(Skybox card SP3: tlhIngan wIy)

yaSpu' negh je po' is grammatically fine, but it seems unidiomatic to
me. It feels a bit like "mon nom est X" ("my name is X") in French: it
follows the rules and it says what you want to say, but most French-
speakers wouldn't say it that way.

QeS 'utlh