[Tlhingan-hol] chIjwI' tIQ bom: 'ay' vagh

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 18 03:55:15 PDT 2011

jIghItlhpu', jIjatlh:
> 'o QongtaHghach! HoSghajwI'maj

mujang Qov, jatlh:
> {ha! love the recasting from gentle to powerful.}

I figured a Klingon would find the idea of "gentle sleep" to be weak as
water. :)

jIH:
> qaStaHvIS poH nI', choQ ravDaq
> ratlhpu'bogh bIQ ngaSwI'
> tebchu'pu' choS bIQ 'e' vInaj;
> {And I used the poH nI' to modify the whole thing. S'okay, didn't
> make a big difference}

'e' vIHech, 'ach bIlugh; DuHqu' cha'.

jIH:
> 'ach SuSvetlh wabmo' QomchoHpu' langbogh vo'wI' Qopqu'.

Qov:
> But the thin, worn out [Hmm, are these thin as in narrow or thin as
> in light? Is lang better than tIS?]

{tIS} vIparHa'. vIqelbe'pu'. vIchoH.

jIH:
> boch wa'vatlh joqwI' tuj;
> joqbogh jIb rur joqwI';

Qov:
> The banner/sail waved like hair. [oooh, was the sail shredded and
> that's the many banners?]

I think so - that's how I interpret it, anyway. (Which doesn't mean
much. I've misunderstood Coleridge before.)

jIH:
> 'engvo' pumchoH chal 'ul'a' qu',
> qoj jenvo' pumbogh bIQ rurchu',

Qov:
> Fierce sheets of lightning fell from the cloud.
> like a waterfall

Dal 'e' DaQublaw'mo' jInIDqa'. I preserved pum in both lines because
I thought it'd reinforce the parallel between them, but I know it's a
pretty dull word. How's this, then:

'engvo' chal 'ul'a' qu' chuHlu',
qoj jenvo' jevbogh bIQ rurchu',
pumDI', He chong mejbe'.

jIH:
> yaH motlhDaq Duj tlhegh raQchoH 'ej

Qov:
> They took up the ships lines at the usual stations.
> {I thought you weren't allowed to call the ropes on ships ropes}

Sheets, isn't it?

jIH:
> ngIq tlhegh wIluH, porghvetlh jIH je,

Qov:
> That body and I hauled on each individual line.
> {Uhh, why not wa' tlhegh? Are you getting carried away with ngIq?}

Possibly. I thought ghunchu'wI' had given an example from the part of
'u' that he, 'ISqu' and Qanqor were reading in which {ngIq tonSaw'}
had been used for "one single manoeuvre", but I can't find the email
now and wa' tlhegh works just fine.

jIH:
> < choghIjtaHqu', 'o chIjwI' tIQ! >

Qov:
> "You freak me right out, O ancient mariner" [okay, it should be "fill
> me with dread" for the context]

:P

jIH:
> 'ej qaSDI' choS - DeSchaj chaghmoH,

Qov:
> When twilight fell, it made their arms drop
> {You could clarify morning and evening twilght with jajlo', I suppose}

luq. vIchoH. (Actually, it'd be interesting to know if choS is for both
morning and evening twilight or just for dusk, since we have a word for
dawn but no word for dusk or sunset.)

jIH:
> muDechtaHvIS puv Hoch wab 'ey,
> ghIq pay' julDaq moD bIH;

Qov:
> All this glorious sound flew around me.
> Then suddenly they rushed off to the sun. [eh? the corpses?]
> {That's interesting. With no previous grammatical hint that the
> sounds were plural, I was thrown by bIH.}

DaH vIlegh je jIH. vIchoH.

jIH:
> rut bomchoH qanraD 'e' vIQoy,

Qov:
> Sometimes I heard a bird [I think] begin to sing [Did you consider wup?]

ghobe'; vIlIjpu'. (I'm really getting annoyed with my lexicon fails here.)

jIH:
> ghIq van; 'ach po Hoch vo'wI'vo' wab 'IHqu''e' Qoylu';

Qov:
> {I think the subject of van needs to be the actor that makes the
> thing end. i.e. van means rInmoH}

bIlughchu'. I keep confusing van and Dor.

jIH:
> 'ej HoHmeH baHjan lo'bogh loD
> muSHa' je bo'Degh'e'. >

Qov:
> And in order for him to kill it, the bird loved the launcher wielding
> dude, too."
> [It's a Christian allegory? Someone should have warned me.]

I'm not Christian myself. I didn't mean to sneak that by you. :)

> [aww, it's over. I wanted more!

wej. 'ach tugh!

> Am I driving you crazy with 250 word chapters? Should they be longer?]

You've got it just about right, I reckon, especially since your 'ay'mey
are coming much more frequently than mine. 250ish words is good.

> It's not bad. It works, it's competent, there's nothing wrong or
> objectionable about it. This part may be more like the dog that walks
> on its hind legs: not praised so much for doing it well, but managing
> to do it at all. I don't like this section as much in English though,
> so maybe I'm just getting what there is. After the blood drinking my
> expectations are pretty high. :-)

I can understand that completely. :) Yeah, I found this part less vivid
in the English, and I guess I haven't been able to make it come alive as
much in the Klingon. Never mind - two parts to go, I'll try to make the
end of it special!

QeS 'utlh