[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Food

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh qunchuy at alcaco.net
Mon Oct 31 12:18:31 PDT 2011

> bread - tIr ngogh

I wonder if {ngogh} works for something flat like a cracker, or if it
implies more thickness.

> cola - qo'la' 'awje'

So {'awje'} ends up being used generically for a sweet, carbonated
beverage. It's still going to be "root beer" by default. How then
should we say "Dr Pepper", or order a diet Coke? I'm tempted to use
{puj}, though that could be misunderstood as meaning "diluted".

> rice - ray' tIr

Aw, that interferes with another grain: rye. I suppose I can call it
{ray tIr} and hope the listener is paying attention. Given the
pattern, here are a few more I'd expect people to understand, even
though they're not "official":
Wheat: {wIt tIr}
Oats: {'ot tIr}
Barley: {barlIy tIr}

> toast - tIr ngogh QaD

{QaD} is disappointing. That would describe stale untoasted bread too.

> sugar - Su'ghar qutmey

maj. DaH Su'ghar wIqellaH.

> butter - nIm tlhagh

Now how do we refer to margarine?

> cucumber - tera' peb'ot
> orange - tera' na'ran

Oho! {peb'ot} and {na'ran} are specific fruits which Terran cucumbers
and oranges merely resemble. We get to use the gratuitous "Kefarian
apples" pattern in the other direction now. :-)

What if I want to distinguish between a cucumber and a zucchini?

> cheese - nIm wIb ngogh

I can live with the "sour milk" simplification, though there's a lot
more to cheese than that.

> fries - tlhagh patat 'oQqar naQHommey

Just as "fries" is a shortened "French fried potatoes", I expect in
actual common use we'll end up with something a lot shorter.

> burger - Ha'DIbaH ghIH tIr ngogh je

Does anyone have any helpful ideas about why {ghIH} is used here?

> Thoughts on a word for "pineapple"?
>
> *pay'In'epIl naH?
> *pay''epIl naH?

I would use {payne'pIl}. If you insist on keeping the {'epIl} ending
intact, I suggest {pan'epIl naH} or {payIn'epIl naH}.

-- ghunchu'wI'