[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' javmaH Soch: <voqHa'chuqghach>

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri Oct 28 09:10:15 PDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Qov <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:
> jatlh "qavoqbe' bIjatlh."[38]
> [38] Ok this is a way more interesting question than the one about whether I
> should use the word jatlh or ja' every time I use quotation marks. I want to
> see how you react to this, then I will tell you what I am thinking about it.

Hey, that's neat. I didn't think anything of it when I read it,
besides quietly noting that it was properly formed as reported speech
according to TKD. Now that you point it out as something worth
focusing on, I realize that what she actually had said was {vIvoqbe'}.

It works. I'm willing to consider it the moral equivalent of
tense-mangling in English reported speech: "You said you were bringing
donuts next week." If you think too hard, it seems broken, but it's
the right way to do it.

-- ghunchu'wI'