[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Bible nonsense

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sun Oct 23 16:36:29 PDT 2011

Five notes on this discussion:

1. One reason the KLI Bible translation project got bogged down is
that the translators were not translating from English but from the
original Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew. There weren't too many folks who
could help.

2. I can actually see that the word-for-word program could be
marginally useful for someone who knew how Klingon worked, but did
not have vocabulary memorized.

3. How did sake get mapped to chIch. Can anyone see a route?

4. Why would anyone object to anyone trying to translate anything?

5. Is translation somehow considered a more noble, valid or deserving
pursuit than original work? I understand that for publication the
general marketability of the product is enhanced by tying it to
something with an existing audience, but what about when it's just
for fun or skills. I've done translation, nothing dirty about it.
I've just discovered that an old one is on line, complete with the
translator's notes I sent to the author.
(http://books.google.ca/books?id=fikDiQRMxgkC&lpg=PA157&ots=NXFbfRGIix&dq=KLingon%20michael%20collings&pg=PA157#v=onepage&q=KLingon%20michael%20collings&f=false)
But my fun is in original work.