[Tlhingan-hol] Fwd: Repost: Nine New Words from qep'a' 18

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 20 06:22:13 PDT 2011

Quvar/Lieven:
> Yes, indeed. The *paq'batlh* will contain the whole libretto of 'u'
> plus some more notes. I would also suggest to name this as a source,
> because it's the only official and written work we will get with
> these words.
>
> BTW, *paq'batlh* is a name, so don't bother about the apostrophe or
> the word order ;-)

The word comes from the VOYAGER episode "Barge of the Dead".  Consider it a bit of {no' Hol}.

The *Paq'batlh* is a series of ancient Klingon scrolls and religious texts that, among other things, passes on the stories of Kahless.  Among the scrolls is the "Eleventh Tome of Klavek" which describes how Kahless came back from the afterlife and had kept a scar to show that what he had experienced was real, so that he may save the soul of his brother.

Cf. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Paq%27batlh for more information and a picture of one of the pages displayed on a monitor which B'Ellana was reading in the episode.

Since the "battle opera" <<'u'>> tells the story of Kahless, the choice of name, however odd to us, was obvious.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons