[Tlhingan-hol] Who else has broken pears? [EuroTalk]

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 02:44:56 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 14:30, Michael Roney, Jr. PKT <nahqun at gmail.com> wrote:
> A couple of y'all had said that the word "pear" was causing problems on the
> CD-ROM.
> I also had problems with "plum" and some of the times.

I had problems with three things: pear, plum, and one of the times (I
think it was 6:55).

I tracked them down to filename errors on the CD: the images for the
Klingon text contained a stray space (so they were called things like
"fd42 .png" rather than "fd42.png"). Precisely three Klingon images
were affected. (Also some in other languages, so if you chose to learn
not through but through another affected language, I imagine you'd
also run into problems.)

The symptoms for me were an error message which I could dismiss, no
sound, and no change in the displayed word (i.e. it would continue to
show the last one you had chosen before). Clicking on the new object
again would make the other person say the word, so I could listen to
it like that.

I emailed their contact address and Katie offered to send me a new CD
or mail me a serial number for the downloadable version. I chose the
latter.

I'm a little surprised how much difference the different picture style
makes in the tests/games - I had gotten used to the ones on the CD and
the ones in the downloadable version are different!

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>