[Tlhingan-hol] 2 letter language code for Klingon?

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh qunchuy at alcaco.net
Wed Oct 5 11:06:16 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 6:29 AM, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
>> The trigraph isn't a translation of the Klingon symbol any more than the IPA [tɬ͡]  is a translation of
>> either; they all represent a sound.
>
> For "translation" read "representation".

You know, if you didn't insist on reading things that people didn't
write, you might find that you don't end up sparking heated
disagreements.

>> In Klingon, that sound is represented by a single letter, and in The Klingon Dictionary the {tlh} symbol is considered explicitly to be its own letter.

> For "symbol" read "trigraph".

I was going to ask what's wrong with calling it a symbol, but then I
decoded that it doesn't matter to me. I'm not doing typography or
graphology or whatever name is appropriate for the discussion of
character set technology here. I'm doing Klingon.

>> But Mr. Everson's comment was more than a little patronizing.
>
> No less than your using "Mr" perhaps.

In my culture, "patronizing" in this context means displaying
unnecessary kindness to someone in a way that shows you are treating
him or her as an inferior. Referring to someone as "Mr" is typically a
sign of formality, and often a term of respect. Would you prefer
something less terse?

"But the comment from Michael Everson, whose contributions to the
recognition of Klingon as a true language are undeniable, and whose
expertise in the fields of typography and fontography is obvious, was
extremely patronizing."

> My comment was a gentle nudge toward terminological accuracy.

Replacing someone else's words to make them say something other than
what they intended is not a gentle act.

If you care about terminological accuracy in a specific field, you'll
have to define things for us so we don't use them in a way you
dislike. At least recognize that we're not experts in the field and a
"gentle nudge" isn't going to magically cause us to lose the ignorance
we display.

I now withdraw from this topic, and return to the tlhIngan-Hol email
discussion forum, already in progress.

-- ghunchu'wI'