[Tlhingan-hol] 2 letter language code for Klingon?

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Wed Oct 5 06:22:18 PDT 2011

(Stupid new list reply-to rules...)

From: ghunchu'wI' 'utlh [mailto:qunchuy at alcaco.net]

> Does the answer from qe'San satisfy you, or are you still worried that
> the CD- ROM might not be presenting itself with what you believe are
> the appropriate fantasy trappings?

I'm not looking for trappings! Part of nearly all the information we have
from Okrand, including his books, have a specified level of uncertainty or
condition that absolutely rely on the fictional backdrop. You cannot ignore
this backdrop and expect to get full use of the language.

You remember why Tolkien wrote his tales of Middle-earth, don't you? It was
to provide the necessary context for his invented languages. He *could not*
have developed those languages without their fictional context. Languages go
hand-in-hand with the culture of the people who speak them.

As for the status of KLI pIqaD, I am not completely satisfied yet. As I said
before, we need more information on the fictional context of the new
products before we can say "this is absolutely correct." I, for one, will be
quite disappointed if it turns out that the poorly understood pIqaD that
handles all the dialects well mentioned in TKD turns out to be nothing more
than a simple alphabet that happens to exactly match the transcription
system introduced in the same book. What a waste!

http://www.trimboli.name/