[Tlhingan-hol] 2 letter language code for Klingon?

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Oct 5 03:09:28 PDT 2011

On 4 Oct 2011, at 19:56, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 2:30 PM, David Trimboli <david at trimboli.name> wrote:
>> "tlh" is *not* a Klingon letter. It is three lower-case Latin letters forming a trigraph to represent a Klingon *sound*.
>
> Fine, {tlh} is a Romanized equivalent of whatever single Klingon letter represents that sound.

How do you know that Klingons use an alphabet? Perhaps they use an abugida. Perhaps they use a quasi-ideographic system with syllabic or alphabetic components. I thought that the true Klingon writing system was specifically undescribed by Okrand.

Perhaps you mean "{tlh} is a sequence of Latin letters standing for whatever single pIqaD letter represents that sound.".

> While I accept the distinction, I think that's a distinction without a difference.

"Letter", "character", "sound", "digraph", and "trigraph" are different words with different meanings.

> As Mr. Everson should know well, the Klingon glyph representing that sound *is* a single letter.

And "glyph" is a different word too. But of course I know that the character U+F8E4 KLINGON LETTER TLH is used to represent [tɬ].

>> There is a symbol that is sometimes used to represent the sound of "tlh," but will never be more than semi-official.

And "symbol" is a different word too.