[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon typos

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Oct 3 09:29:27 PDT 2011

I've been typing a lot of Klingon lately and I'm not a very good
typist, plus I don't have any kind of Klingon language tools for my
computer. I'm not going to deny that I make a fair number of
grammatical errors, but I'm making weird typos, too. There's
something more going on than finger slips. For example just now I
typed a sentence, talked to my husband, looked back at the screen and
saw "loS nIj 'Iw."  Huh? Oh the firsd word was supposed to be
loQ.  Obviously I didn't get "four/wait" and "slightly" confused in
my head, but somehow that happened in my fingers.  I do make typos of
the "forgot to shift the S" and "lth" variety, but more often I
substitute a completely different valid *Klingon* "letter," like
H/ch. A lot of j/q -- I keep typing ghIj for ghIq--and the like.  I
guess there are a couple of levels here, so when I slip on one level
something is preserved on another.  Some of them are similar to
speech slips, but who would ever try for loQ and have it sound like loS?

Hmm, I've just realized that in English I've long given up spelling
triatlhete or heatlhy correctly on the first try, so I guess the
fingers do learn groups of movements and can just trigger the wrong one.

- Qov.