[Tlhingan-hol] EuroTalk

Josh Badgley joshbadgley at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 1 14:41:49 PDT 2011

DaH vuDwIj Sanob.  Maybe as a beginner my input isn't as well-informed as you veterans out there, but having studied tlhIngan Hol four months I'd just like to say that I really appreciate this software.  I know it was established long ago that Klingons don't waste their time with pleasantries like "please" or "good morning", but Terrans do, and it just seems that if we're going to be earthbound Klingon speakers, it makes sense to adapt somewhat to the culture.  I don't think this takes away from the economical quality of the language - in fact, once you get the software, you'll see how even so-called Klingon "pleasantries" are still pretty damn direct - but it does give one a sense of how Klingons would adapt to life on earth.  The new words seem pretty "accurate" and "straightforward" - everyday items are labeled as what they are or how they function, which I appreciate much more than coming out of the blue with some new obscure terms for items I seriously doubt one would find on Qo'noS. I think if anything this proves how adaptable Klingon is.  Instead of direct borrowing ("le sandwich" in French or "filmi" in Hindi), we get new words put together the way you would expect a Klingon to! I also wanted to say how grateful I am to finally have words for the myriad items I encounter and use in my everyday life.  Quite simply, I don't know any other speakers of Klingon, so I spend a lot of time translating words and concepts in my head or speaking quietly to myself to practice.  It has been pretty irritating to not have a (canon) word for things like my car or a television.  Yes, I appreciate the fact that Klingon is a fictional language spoken by fictional aliens.  But what good is learning such a fascinating language if you can't even speak it in everyday life?  So I say majQa'...I really think this is going to be a boon for tlhIngan Hol and many more people may take the language more seriously.

And I really hope in the future we get some cool titles like Klingon Vocab Builder or even one day Premium Klingon!

-- jhb