[Tlhingan-hol] swimming Teddy-bears in Klingon

Adm qe'San qeSan at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 1 07:05:03 PDT 2011

I felt fairly much the same as you when I started on this project and it's
template.  I got around the mindset by taking the stance that for Klingons
to come to Earth and understand Human words and concepts and the easiest way
for them to understand was to translate that in a manner as close to Klingon
ideas as possible.  So in a way making a kind of reverse Conversational
Klingon although still "your chosen language" to Klingon.

Quote from the press release:
------------------------------
Discussing his work on Talk Now! Learn Klingon, Marc says that he and
Jonathan had to find a way of talking about "non Klingon things in terms
that would make sense to Klingons".
------------------------------

As to postcard itself, although it might be unique to Earth and it's
languages, at the end of the day Postcard is now canon but the real new word
in the construction is "card" which maybe they did have at some point in
time and if not in Klingon I'm sure in the ST universe itself..

a quote:

"By the way, the word comes up in Monopoly also (not with "birthday," of
course), so I'm glad I was working on both at the same time.

All the best,

- Marc"

That quote was part of a reply to an apology in relation to the qep'a' and
to the birthday present I gave Lawrence.

Having said all that part of the opportunity here and what I believe
appealed to CBS was making Klingon available in so many other languages at
the same time which in itself should help to increase the awareness of it
and opening up future possibilities.

qe'San