[Tlhingan-hol] New to the language - word lists and use of words out of normal language

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Wed Nov 30 06:27:41 PST 2011

On 11/30/2011 5:38 AM, Phil Reynolds wrote:

> Also, what are the conventions for using Klingon words when writing in
> English, and the other way round? I'm sure I saw these somewhere once,
> but have not found them recently.

We don't have conventions so much as traditions. When writing English
and inserting Klingon words, it is common to surround them with {curly
brackets}. When inserting English words in Klingon text, it is most
common to see them surrounded by *asterisks*.

Those are what we usually use in the plain text of the mailing list. In
the various books, Marc Okrand uses boldface text to indicate Klingon
words in English text. He usually transliterates names, so he hasn't
used English words in Klingon text.

http://www.trimboli.name/